William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
OXWICK-CUM-PATTESLEY, 4 miles S. by W. of Fakenham, consists of two parishes, united for the support of their poor, in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Launditch hundred, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry and bankruptcy district. The soil belongs to the Marquis of Townshend, James Day, and George Dixon, Esqs., and a few smaller owners, the former of whom is lord of the manor. The united parishes have a rateable value of £1442, a population of 76, and an area of 2039 acres, of which 1719 acres were in Oxwick.
The CHURCH (All Saints), situated at Oxwick, is a small plain building of the Late Perpendicular period, and has a nave, chancel, and south porch. The interior was restored in 1857, and fitted with neat open seats and pulpit of pine, and a reading-desk of oak. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 9s. 2d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Edmund Blake, M.A., of Bramerton, who has a yearly rent-charge of £231, awarded in 1842 in lieu of tithes, for whom the Rev. F.C. de Lona Lane, of Whissonsett, officiates.
The poor have 5 acres of land; the interest of £17, which arose from the sale of timber; and 3s. 4d. yearly from Dunham's charity.
POST viâ Fakenham. Whissonsett is the nearest Money Order Office.
PATTESLEY, 1 mile S. of Oxwick, is united with Oxwick for the support of its poor (see Oxwick), and is in one farm, belonging to the Marquis of Townshend, and occupied by Mr. Horace Edward Smith. Its church was dilapidated many years ago, though some fragments of its walls may still be seen at the east end of the farmhouse. Though rated to the poor of Oxwick, its sinecure rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 8s., is consolidated with the vicarage of Mattishall. (See page 413 [which is the entry for Mattishall].)
POST viâ Swaffham. Whissonsett is the nearest Money Order Office.
Dunger George farm bailiff
Dunger Richard parish clerk
Green Wm. farmer; h Sharrington
Mitchell Thos. farmer & cattle dlr
Russell John farmer
Smith Horace Edward farmer
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
The incumbent now is the Rev. W.M. Hoare, rector of Colkirk.
Take out the 'Rev. F.C. de L. Lane.'
See also the Oxwick with Pattesley parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.