William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PANXWORTH, 9 miles E.N.E. of Norwich, is a small village and parish, containing 121 inhabitants, and about 577 acres of land, united with Ranworth, for the support of the poor. J. Kerrison and H.N. Burroughes, Esqrs., own some of the soil, and the former is lord of the manor.
The Church (All Saints), after being many years in ruins, was entirely rebuilt in 1847, at a cost of £600, except the ancient tower, which still remains and has two bells. It is a neat but small edifice with good open benches, having sittings for 120 hearers.
The benefice is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and has been consolidated with Woodbastwick, since 1699. The glebe here is 32A. 2R. 30P., and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £143. 15s. 9d. per annum.
The chief residents are -
Chapman James corn miller and farmer Hardy Michael parish clerk Ives James vict. Lion Moor Robert farmer Rix Matthew shopkeeper Starling Thomas blacksmith Walker David farmer
POST from Norwich, via Blofield.
See also the Panxworth parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.