Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1912
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PENSTHORPE is a parish on the Wensum, 2 miles south-east from Fakenham stations on the Great Eastern and Midland and Great Northern joint railway, in the North Western division of the county, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.
The church has long since fallen into ruins, and the remains now form a part of some farm buildings. The living is a sinecure rectory, net yearly value £104, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1906 by the Rev. George Smallpeice M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is also incumbent of the sinecure rectory of Pudding Norton, and vicar of Hempton, where he resides.
Several Roman urns and other relics have been dug up here.
Hugh Kirkham esq. of Terrington St. Clement, is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay; the land is cultivated on the usual four-course shift. The area is 753 acres; rateable value, £635; the population in 1911 was 37.
Letters through Fakenham, the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 7.15 a.m.; mail cart passes at 6 p.m.
Letter Box cleared at 7.15 a.m. & 4.45 p.m. week days only
The children of this place attend school at Fakenham
Daniel Arthur John Bernard Pensthorpe house Claxton Charles farm bailiff to H. Kirkham esq Kirkham Hugh farmer, Pensthorpe
See also the Pensthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.