"PENTNEY is a large straggling village, in a low marshy situation, on the north side of the river Nar, 9 miles S.E. by E. of Lynn, and 6½ miles N.W. by W. of Swaffham. Its parish contains 592 inhabitants, and 2,534 acres of enclosed land, with a hungry, gravelly soil, extending about five miles in length and one in breadth, on the north side of the vale of the Nar, The Rev. Dr. Thackeray, of Cambridge, is lord of the manor, and owner of one-fourth of the soil; the rest belongs to a number of small copyholders and leaseholders, subject to small certain fines. . . . The CHURCH, (St. Mary Magdalen,) stands at the west end of the village, and is a curacy, certified at £20, and valued in 1831 at £60, being augmented from 1761 to 1816, with £800 of Queen Anne's bounty, laid out in 28 acres of land. The Rev. Robert Hankinson, of Walpole, is patron, and the Rev. Samuel Pearson, incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Norfolk, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pentney to another place.
Pentney is in Freebridge Lynn hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pentney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF724139 (Lat/Lon: 52.695269, 0.549058), Pentney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.