Norfolk: Great Plumstead
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PLUMSTEAD (GREAT), 5 miles E. of Norwich, is a parish in Blofield union, rural deanery and hundred, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Norwich county court and bankruptcy court district, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, and Norwich archdeaconry. It contained 334 inhabitants in 1881, living on1383 acres, and has a rateable value of £2753. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor and chief landowner, but W. Birkbeck, Esq., C.W. Unthank, Esq., and Sir Henry Stracy [sic] have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, and tower. The nave and chancel were thoroughly restored in 1876, the nave out of funds collected by the then vicar, the Rev. E. Cole, M.A., and the chancel by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the year 1878 the tower was restored, and the bells rehung, mainly out of the balance of the funds collected by the late vicar, Mr. Cole, and the nave was then reseated at the sole expense of William Birkbeck, Esq., of Thorpe St. Andrew. The holy-water stoup, a fine carved rood-screen, and the piscina still remain.
The living is a vicarage, recently augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to £191 3s. 3d., with augmentations from Queen Anne's Bounty amounting to about £35. A vicarage has now been built out of a sum of £1500 granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the Rev. John T. Howard, M.A., is now vicar. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are the patrons. A new vicarage was erected in 1881 on land given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who also contributed £1500 towards the expense.
A BOARD SCHOOL was erected in 1876, at a cost of £950, for the parish, and is attended by about 50 mixed children. The board now consists of Mr. R. King (chairman), Mr. A. King (vice-chairman), the Rev. J.T. Howard, M.A., Mr. Benjamin Bales, and Mr. John Ellis. Mr. H.H. Cole, of Norwich, is clerk to the board.
The fuel allotment (29A. 3R. 5P.) is let for £50 per annum, which is distributed in coal half-yearly to the poor of the parish.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Raymond Read's. Letters arrive at 8.50 a.m., and despatched at 4.55 p.m., viâ Norwich. Blofield is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bales Benjamin farmer, Smeeth farm Bidwell John farmer Brister Henry farmer Calke Thomas Lond farmer Cole Mrs Frances Josephine Ellis John shopkeeper Ellis John, jun. fmr. & vict. Hare Inn George Robert wheelwright Goddard John Marfrey farmer Howard Rev. John Thos., M.A. vicar King Arthur farmer King Robert farmer Maidstone George parish clerk Maidstone Leonard bricklayer Newman Henry farmer; h Norwich Read Raymond flour dealer and sub-postmaster Shingles William shopkeeper Shreeve Benjamin market gardener Shreeve Mrs Rebecca market gardnr Simmons Mrs Elizabeth shoemaker Simmons John blacksmith Wright Miss Alice L. schoolmistress
CARRIER from Ranworth to Norwich passes through on Saturday
See also the Great Plumstead parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.