Norfolk: Little Plumstead
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PLUMSTEAD, (LITTLE) 6 miles E. by N. of Norwich, is a village and parish, with 341 inhabitants, and 1375 acres of rich loamy land, the greater part of which is the property of the Rev. Charles Penrice, M.A., the lord of the manor, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in the King's books at £7. 12s. 6d., and in 1831 at £800, with those of Witton and Brundall annexed to it. The rector has here 12A. of glebe, and a good Rectory House.
The Hall, a handsome cottage orné, with embattled towers and turrets, surmounted by small octagonal spires, is occupied by Admiral Philip Stephens.
The Church (St. Gervase,) is a small structure with a tower, and has in its chancel two beautiful marble monuments, one to the memory of Sir Edward Warner, who died in 1565; and the other in remembrance of Thomas Penrice, Esq., who died in 1816. The latter is an exact model of one to Scipio Africanus, at Rome. In 1834, the rector filled the east window with stained glass, representing, in different compartments, the fall of man, the Redeemer, the Crucifixion, and the four Evangelists.
The Poor's Allotment, 31A. 1R. 22P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1801, and is let for £45 a year, which is distributed in coals, clothing, &c. A double cottage and 3A. of land are supposed to have been given by the Hobart family.
Penrice Rev. C., M.A. Rectory Stephens Admiral P. Hall Chamberlain John shoemaker Nichols Mrs. shopkeeper Spanton J. vict., Brickmakers' Arms farmers Blake George Filby Rob. Childs Roper Aaron
See also the Little Plumstead parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.