Norfolk Poor Law before 1834
Bawdeswell Gilbert Union
This included the parishes of Bawdeswell, Billingford (near East Dereham), Bintry, Bylaugh, Foxley, Lyng, and Sparham
- 1782 - Gilbert's Act allowed parishes to join together and run a workhouse. This was for the old, the sick and the infirm.
- 1785 - Bawdeswell Gilbert Union formed containing seven parishes (see later).
- House of Industry located at The Street, Bawdeswell, NR20 4RT, [Map reference is TG045208].
- 1835 - Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union formed (was previously an Incorporation).
- Bawdeswell was dissolved.
- Parishes became part of the Mitford and Launditch Union using the workhouse at Gressenhall.
- Description is in Whites 1845 directory.
- 2001 - House of Industry is now a Public House called "The Old Workhouse".
After 1834 these parishes moved as shown :-
Further information can be found:
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.