Norfolk Poor Law before 1834
Buxton Gilbert Union
(Changed to an Incorporation from 1806)
This included the parishes of Brampton, Burgh next Aylsham, Buxton, Hevingham, Marsham, Oxnead, Skeyton, Stratton Strawless and Swanton Abbott
- 1782 - Gilbert's Act allowed parishes to join together and run a workhouse. This was for the old, the sick and the infirm.
- c. 1801 - Buxton Gilbert Union formed containing Buxton and 2 other parishes? An earlier parish workhouse became the "House of Industry".
- This workhouse was located to the S.E of Buxton about 0.5 mile outside the village and was subsequently demolished (sometime after 1849). Location was Coltishall Road, just to the north of Buxton Heath (NR10 5JA), c. NR10 5JD, [Map reference is TG2393521465]. This is marked as "Buxton Workhouse" on old maps.
- 1806 - Buxton Union became the Buxton Incorporation for 9 parishes.
- Buxton was dissolved. Aylsham Poor Law Union formed.
- Parishes became part of the Aylsham Union and "House of Industry" became one of 2 Workhouses (the other being at Oulton) for new Union.
- Description is in Whites 1845 directory.
After 1834 these parishes moved as shown :-
Further information can be found:
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.