Kings Lynn Incorporation
- 1682 - The parish of St. Margaret used as a Workhouse the building called St James' hospital which was in a former chapel.
- 1701 - Kings Lynn Incorporation was formed by an Act of Parliament. It consisted of the parishes of All Saints and St. Margaret's (and used its workhouse).
- c.1776 - Additional WorkHouse in All Saints parish (South Lynn).
- 1835 - Became Kings Lynn Union
- Description is in Whites 1845 directory.
After 1835 these parishes moved as shown :-
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.