Hide

Norfolk: Poor Law

hide
Hide

Mitford and Launditch Incorporation 1775 - 1835

Incorporation history

  • 1775 - Mitford and Launditch Incorporation was formed by an Act of Parliament.
  • Originally site was called Chapel Farm.
  • 1777 - Opened 7th July - House of Industry at Gressenhall, East Dereham, NR30 4DR, [Map reference is TF974170].
  • 1785 - Burials started in the area now covered by the orchard.
  • 1834 - Farm renamed "Union Farm".
  • 1835 - Mitford and Launditch Incorporation dissolved.
  • Description is in Whites 1845 directory.
  • c. 1835 - Became Mitford and Launditch Union

Except where indicated all the parishes joined this Incorporation c.1775. After 1835 these parishes moved as shown :-

  
Places1835 Union
Beeston (cum Bittering)Mitford and Launditch
BeetleyMitford and Launditch
Bilney, East
  (East Bilney)
Mitford and Launditch
Bittering Parva
  (Little Bittering)
Mitford and Launditch
BrisleyMitford and Launditch
ColkirkMitford and Launditch
CranworthMitford and Launditch
Dereham, East
  (East Dereham)
  (1776-1801) (*)
Mitford and Launditch
Dunham, Great
  (Great Dunham)
Mitford and Launditch
Dunham, Little
  (Little Dunham)
Mitford and Launditch
Elmham, North
  (North Elmham)
Mitford and Launditch
Fransham, Great
  (Great Fransham)
Mitford and Launditch
Fransham, Little
  (Little Fransham)
Mitford and Launditch
GarvestonMitford and Launditch
GateleyMitford and Launditch
GressenhallMitford and Launditch
HardinghamMitford and Launditch
HockeringMitford and Launditch
HoeMitford and Launditch
HorningtoftMitford and Launditch
KempstonMitford and Launditch
LettonMitford and Launditch
Lexham, East
  (East Lexham)
Mitford and Launditch
Places1835 Union
Lexham, West
  (West Lexham)
Mitford and Launditch
LitchamMitford and Launditch
LonghamMitford and Launditch
MattishallMitford and Launditch
Mattishall BurghMitford and Launditch
MilehamMitford and Launditch
OxwickMitford and Launditch
PattesleyMitford and Launditch
ReymerstonMitford and Launditch
RoughamMitford and Launditch
ScarningMitford and Launditch
ShipdhamMitford and Launditch
SouthburghMitford and Launditch
StanfieldMitford and Launditch
Swanton MorleyMitford and Launditch
ThuxtonMitford and Launditch
TittleshallMitford and Launditch
Tuddenham, East
  (East Tuddenham)
Mitford and Launditch
Tuddenham, North
  (North Tuddenham)
Mitford and Launditch
Weasenham All SaintsMitford and Launditch
Weasenham St. PeterMitford and Launditch
WellinghamMitford and Launditch
WendlingMitford and Launditch
WestfieldMitford and Launditch
WhinburghMitford and Launditch
WhissonsettMitford and Launditch
Wood RisingMitford and Launditch
WorthingMitford and Launditch
YaxhamMitford and Launditch

Notes

  • 1. (*) indicates a workhouse at East Dereham before it joined (and after it left) the Union. See the Workhouses before 1834 page for further details.

Books

Reid, Andy
The Union Workhouse
Pope, Stephen
Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse: A History of the Buildings and the People Who Lived and Worked in Them
Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse: History and Guide

Poor Law Records - Images

Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the

  • LDS familysearch website https://www.familysearch.org/ (UK+Ireland records section)
  1. Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
  2. Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
  3. Select "Browse through xxx images"
  4. Under County pick - "Norfolk"
  5. Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
  6. Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
  7. Alternatively use a search engine for "familysearch" "Norfolk Poor Law Union Records"

Other Websites

Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
                www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).

Further information can be found:


See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
June 2016