Norfolk Poor Law before 1834
Oulton Gilbert Union
This included the parishes of Banningham, Blickling, Colby, Erpingham, Itteringham and Oulton
- 1782 - Gilbert's Act allowed parishes to join together and run a workhouse. This was for the old, the sick and the infirm.
- 1792 - Oulton Gilbert Union formed initially containing Oulton and Blickling. The other parishes joined later the last being in 1832.
- House of Industry located at Aylsham Road, Oulton Street, Oulton, NR11 6NP, [Map reference TG156276] The house was originally a farm house and was altered in 1804. Marked on some 2 1/2" maps as "Old Workhouse".
- Oulton was dissolved. Aylsham Poor Law Union formed.
- Parishes became part of the Aylsham Union and "House of Industry" became one of 2 Workhouses (the other being at Buxton) for new Union.
- Description is in Whites 1845 directory
After 1834 these parishes moved as shown :-
Further information can be found:
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.