St Faith's Gilbert Union
This included the parishes of Catton, Coltishall, Crostwick, Drayton, Felthorpe, Hainford, Horsford, Horsham St. Faith, Horstead with Stanninghall, Newton St. Faith, Rackheath, Salhouse, Spixworth, Sprowston, and Taverham
- 1782 - Gilbert's Act allowed parishes to join together and run a workhouse. This was for the old, the sick and the infirm.
- 1805 - St Faith's Gilbert Union formed.
- House of Industry built at Manor Road, Horsham St Faith, NR10 3LF , [Map reference is TG218161]. "St Faith's Crematorium" built on site of demolished workhouse.
- 1836 - St. Faith's Poor Law Union formed.
- See also Whites 1845 directory description.
After 1834 these parishes moved as shown :-
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.