- 1834 - Blofield Poor Law Union was formed from all parishes in the Acle Gilbert Union and some other parishes.
- 1836 - Workhouse was built.
- Located at Norwich Road, Lingwood, NR13 4BP, [Map reference TG361081] and now demolished.
- Description is in Whites 1845 directory
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory lists it as "The Institution, built 1837 to hold 248 inmates, adjoining is a hospital for 20 patients". "Norfolk No 3 Area Guardians Committee" is also mentioned.
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933.
Before 1834 some of these parishes belonged to Gilbert Unions, Incorporations or had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
Where "Acle-GU" = Acle Gilbert Union.
Poor Law Records - Transcriptions
List of the names of the Guardians of the Blofield Union who served from October 1835 to March 1836.
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
- Serreau, Audrey
- Times and Years, Blofield.
A history of the Union Workhouse at Lingwood in the County of Norfolk.
[ISBN: 0-948903-93-7 : Bungay, Suffolk: Morrow & Co, 2000]
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.