- 1776 - Forehoe Incorporation was formed by an Act of Parliament.
- 1777 - House of Industry at Hospital Road, Wicklewood, NR18 9PD, [Map reference is TG080018].
- 1834 - Forehoe Incorporation status kept.
- 1845 - Description is in Whites directory under the Forehoe Hundred section.
- 1883 - Description is in Whites directory under the entry for Wicklewood.
- 1930 - Dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory has it as "Wicklewood Institution". The above under section "Norfolk No 5 Area Guardians Committee". There is also a "District Isolation Cottage Hospital" mentioned.
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933 + Forehoe and Henstead (districts), Isolation Cottage Hospital at Wicklewood
- 1940's - 1974+ Called "Hill House Hospital, Wicklewood"
- 1980's - Converted to Housing. One of the buildings called "St Georges".
Before 1776 some of these parishes had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.