Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act

Holbeach Union (in Lincolnshire)

Part of the Norfolk parish of Central Wingland (created from 1831 onwards) was in this Union. To the south is Spalding Union.

Union history

  • 1835 - Union created.
  • 1837 - Built on the border between the parishes of Holbeach and Fleet. Location was on north side of Fleet Road, PE12 7AX, [Map reference is TF370249].
  • Also called "Fleet Road Hospital".


Holbeach Union
Places in Norfolk
Central Wingland (part of)

Holbeach Union
Places in
Lincolnshire
  Fleet
  Gedney
  Gedney Hill Hamlet
  Holbeach
  Sutton (Long)
  Sutton St. Edmund
Holbeach Union
Places in
Lincolnshire
  Sutton St. James
  Sutton St. Nicholas
  Tydd St. Mary
  Whaplode
  Whaplode Drove

Description of the Union - White's 1856 Lincolnshire

This comes from pages 830 and 831 of this Gazetteer under the Elloe Wapentake or Hundred section in the sub-section on Holbeach Parish.

HOLBEACH UNION comprises 11 parishes, &c., extending over an area of about 76,000 acres, and it had 19,134 inhabitants in 1851. The total average annual expenditure of the 11 parishes, &c., during the three years preceding the formation of the Union, was £10,344. The expenditure of the Union on the poor was £6506 in 1838, £5481 in 1839, and £10,720 in 1855. The Union Workhouse was built in 1837, at a cost of upwards of £6000. It is partly in Fleet parish, and was enlarged in 1851. It has now room for 310 inmates; but it had only 124 in 1841, and 250 in 1851, when the census was taken. Mr. Edward George Ayliff is the union clerk and superintendent registrar; Edward Vise and Edward Blithe Vise are registrars of marriages; and Mr. Edgar Luke Lance is the governor, and Mrs Hanh. Millns, matron of the Workhouse. The RELIEVING OFFICERS are Mr. Wm. Coxon, for Holbeach District; and Mr. Richard Winfrey, jun. for Long Sutton District;. The REGISTRARS of BIRTHS and DEATHS are Chas. Webb, for Holbeach District; and James Newman for Long Sutton District. They each have deputies, one of whom is Joseph Hardy, of Gedney hill.

The following enumeration of the eleven parishes, &c., in Holbeach Union, shews their population in 1851 :-

  Fleet   1162 Long Sutton Parish   Sutton St. Nicholas     849
  Gedney   1950   Sutton St. Mary   4416   Tydd St. Mary   1107
  Gedney Hill Ham.     569   Sutton St. Edmund     757   Whaplode   1719
  Holbeach   5191   Sutton St. James     569   Whaplode Drove     845

 


Further information can be found:


See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
February 2011