St Faith's Union
- 1836 - St Faith's Union was formed.
- Used "House of Industry" of previous St Faith's Gilbert Union at Manor Road, Horsham St Faith, NR10 3LF, [Map reference is TG218161].
- Description is in Whites 1845 directory
- 1863 - Norwich (St. Mary-in-the-Marsh) moved to Norwich Union
- 1883 - Description is in Whites directory under the entry for Horsham St Faith
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory has a section "Norfolk No 2 Area Guardians Committee" but old Union buildings are not mentioned.
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933
- Demolished and "St Faith's Crematorium" built on its site.
Before 1834 some of these parishes belonged to Gilbert Unions, Incorporations or had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
"St. Faith's-GU" = St Faith's Gilbert Union.
"Booton-GU" = Booton Gilbert Union.
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.