Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act
This Union contained parishes from Norfolk and Cambridgeshire some of which were in both counties.
- 1836 - Wisbech Poor Law Union was formed which contained parishes from Norfolk and Cambridgeshire as listed below.
- 1838 - Workhouse was built and was situated at "De Havilland Road", off Lynn Road, Wisbech, PE13 3AN, [Map reference is TF464100].
- 1909 - Nordelph created from parts of Denver, Downham West, Outwell, Stow Bardolph and Upwell.
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1935 - Note that civil parish of Marshland St James was created (ecclesiatical parish of same name was created in 1922) from parts of Clenchwarton, Emneth, Terrington St Clement, Terrington St John, Tilney All Saints, Tilney St Lawrence, Tilney cum Islington, Walpole St Andrew, Walpole St Peter, and West Walton.
- 1948 - Became the "Clarkson Hospital" which closed c.1983.
- Workhouse now demolished.
Before 1834 some of these parishes had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
Note that the Cambridgeshire and Norfolk parts of Outwell and Upwell were each a separate township as regards supporting their poor.
Description of the Union - Gardner's 1851 Cambridgeshire
This comes from pages 623 and 624 of this Gazetteer.
The Union Workhouse which is capable of accommodating 560 inmates is situated on the Lynn road, and was erected by the poor law commissioners at a cost of about £6,900.
The building, which is of an ornamental character, and in style approaches the Elizabethan, consists of a centre and two wings. The centre and wings are of three stories, and the rest of the building of two. The centre which is pedimented, surmounted by a bell-turret, is almost wholly occupied by a large pointed window. The wings are flat and pedimented, and the rest of the front has a pediment raised on the parapet over every window. There is a neat entrance lodge, and the space in front, which is considerable, is planted with evergreens. The whole has not only an air of comfort but of grandeur. The paupers are well clothed and fed, and it is said to be one of the best conducted workhouses in the kingdom. The average number of inmates for the past year is about 300, and the weekly expense of each pauper is 2s 7½d. Mr. James Rose the present master, Mrs. Jane Rose, is matron, and Mr. G. D. Collins, solicitor, clerk to the board of guardians.
Further information can be found:
- about locations in the Towns and Parishes pages.
- about which hundred a parish occurs in.
- and in the Cambridgeshire GENUKI pages.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.