Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act
Great Yarmouth Union 1837-1930
Workhouse and Union history
- 1837 (March) - Great Yarmouth Poor Law Union created.
- Used the previous Workhouse of Great Yarmouth Borough which was the old "Hospital of St Mary".
- 1838 - New Workhouse built at 150 Caister Road, Great Yarmouth, NR30 1BU, [Map reference is TG526087]
- 1891 - Gorleston added.
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory has under "Public Assistance Committee" - "The Institution, 150a, Caister Road is now available for 500 inmates".
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933
- "Northgate Hospital" is now on the site of Workhouse.
|Places||Pre 1837 Union,
or Parish Work House
|Great Yarmouth||Great Yarmouth
Parish Work House
|Gorleston (from 1891)
(inc. South Town alias West Town
or Little Yarmouth)
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- LDS familysearch website https://www.familysearch.org/ (UK+Ireland records section)
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
- Alternatively use a search engine for "familysearch" "Norfolk Poor Law Union Records"
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.