"PORINGLAND, (GREAT) or East Poringland, commonly called Pauling, is a pleasant village, 4½ miles S.S.E. of Norwich. It is united with Little Poringland for the support of the poor, and the two parishes contain together 577 souls, and 1521 acres, of which 57 souls and 623 acres are in Little, and the rest in Great Poringland. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor, and the soil is held by many copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines. The Church (All Saints,) has a tower round at the base and sexangular above. It was repaired about twelve years ago, and contains a small kneeling effigy of Robt. Draper. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 2d., and in 1831 at £274. J. Brereton, Esq., is patron, the Rev. S. Brereton incumbent, and the Rev. F.G. Goodwin curate." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also West Poringland.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Poringland to another place.
East Poringland is in Henstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
- Description of Henstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which East Poringland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG269018 (Lat/Lon: 52.56696, 1.346853), East Poringland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)