Norfolk: Pulham Market
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PULHAM, ST. MARY MAGDALEN is a considerable village, about a mile north of the above [ie Pulham St Mary the Virgin], on an eminence, 4½ miles N.W. of Harleston. Its parish had 1155 inhabitants in 1841, including 130 in Depwade Union Workhouse, which is described at page 699 [which is the entry for Depwade Hundred]. It includes many scattered houses, and 2956A. 1R. 19P. of land, of which the commons called Bush-green, Colegate-end, and Gresham green, were enclosed in 1838-'9. It is nearly all in Robert Copeman, Esq.'s manor of Pulham, (fines arbitrary,) and anciently had a weekly market, and was noted for the manufacture of hats, dornecks, coverlets, &c. It has still a cattle fair, on the third Thursday in May.
The Church is a large structure, with a tower and six bells, and its curacy, with all the tithes of the parish, is consolidated with the rectory of Pulham St. Mary the Virgin, as already noticed.
The Hall, anciently a seat of a younger branch of the Percy family, was rebuilt by the late J. Crickmore, Esq., and is now the property of Laverock Leggett, Esq.
The Town Estate, which was vested in trust for the poor, as early as the 16th century, consists of two farm-houses, and 66A. of land, let for £23; and three cottages, let for £16 a year. Out of these rents, about £18 is paid yearly for the support of a Sunday-school, and the remainder, after paying for repairs, &c., is distributed in coals and clothing, among the poor. About 1832, the overseers enclosed 29A. from the wastes, to be cultivated by the poor, by spade husbandry.
The POST OFFICE is at Chas. Palmer's. Letters are received from Harleston, at 9 mng., and despatched at 5 evening.
Allen Richard joiner Bond Rev Richard curate Boughton Robert glover & hairdsr. Bullen Joseph watchmaker Cocks John vict. Crown Inn Cole Mrs Ann Colman Mr Henry Dunn Mattw. painter, plumber, &c Elmar James vict. Falcon Goff Wm. tailor Howlett Edward joiner Howlett Joseph machine maker King Wm. veterinary surgeon Osborne Wm. saddler Rackham Joshua corn miller Rayson Robert blacksmith Rayson George schoolmaster Reeve Thomas bricklayer Rudling John cooper Sheperson Miss Wade Robert butcher Waller Jas. gent. FARMERS. (* are Owners.) * Barnes Samuel * Kerrison Henry Baxter James * Kerrison Saml. sen. and jun. Bullock Robert Kersey Charles Farman Henry * King George Fuller Daniel Lock William * Goldsmith Jas. Poppy Mary Gooch Thomas Read John Harden Jacob Stanley John Harden J. jun. Stanley J. jun Harris Charles Shopkeepers. Aldrich Sarah Heasell Mrs Shoemakers. Wheelwrights. Rayson James Jeffries Isaac Rayson John Palmer John Warne Benjamin
CARRIERS. - Wm. Boughton & J. Warne, to Norwich, Wed. and Sat.
See also the Pulham Market parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.