Norfolk: Pulham Market
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
PULHAM ST. MARY MAGDALEN, or Pulham Market, is a considerable village on the Waveney branch railway, about a mile north from Pulham St. Mary the Virgin, on an eminence 4½ miles N.W. of Harleston, and was formerly noted for the manufacture of hats, dornocks, coverlets, &c. Its parish is in Depwade union, Earsham hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy court district, Harleston polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 1127 inhabitants in 1881, including 203 in the Depwade union workhouse, which is situated in this parish. It has a rateable value of £4217.
The parish includes many scattered houses, and 2956A. lR. 19P. of land, of which the commons called Bush Green, Colegate End, and Gresham Green, were enclosed in 1838-9. It is nearly all in George Copeman, Esq.'s manor of Pulham (fines arbitrary), and anciently had a weekly market, and a cattle fair used to be held on the third Thursday in May. A small estate here is held by the service of blowing a horn at the opening of the manor court, and 7 acres by being 'the lord's hangman;' but the duties, of the latter office have long been obsolete. Lord Waveney, George Leggett, Esq., G.F. Bevan, Esq., W.H. Cole, Esq., and others, have estates here. The Hall, anciently a seat of a younger branch of the Percy family, was rebuilt by the late J. Crickmore, Esq. and is now the property of George Leggett, Esq., who occupies it.
The CHURCH is a large structure of mixed architecture, chiefly Perpendicular, and consists of a lofty nave with aisles, a chancel, and a tower with six bells. The roof is of carved wood, and part of the nave-roof is painted and gilt, and evidently ancient. There is a piscina in the chancel, and another in one of the aisles. Here are handsome mural monuments of the Rosier, Stanhawe, Cole, Roope, Palgrave, and Page families. The rectory, valued at £646, is in the patronage of the Crown, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Spencer Fellows, M.A., who has a commodious residence, which was enlarged and new fronted in 1861.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL was erected in 1852, at a cost of £352, and is attended by more than 100 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel here, the former built in 1862. There are two cemeteries in the parish, one belonging to the Church and the other to the Dissenters. They were formed in 1860, when the churchyard was closed.
The Town Estate, which was vested in trust for the poor as early as the 16th century, consists of two farmhouses and 66 acres of land, let for £113, and seven cottages, let for £27 a year. Out of these rents £30 are appropriated to the church expenses, and the remainder is equally divided between the school and poor.
DEPWADE UNION comprises an area of 73,000 acres, and had 23,588 inhabitants, in 1881. Their average annual expenditure, from 1832 to 1835, was £24,000. (For present expenditure, see page 42 [which is the entry for Norfolk Poor Law].)
The following is an enumeration of the parishes in the Union, showing their territorial extent, the population in 1881, and the present rateable value:-
Forncett St. Mary
Forncett St. Peter
|Pulham St. Mary Magdalen |
Pulham St. Mary the Virgin
Redenhall with Harleston
Scole with Thorpe, Parva and Frenze
Stratton St. Mary
Stratton St. Michael
Tivetshall St. Margaret
Tivetshall St. Mary
|} 5,995 |
The Union Workhouse was built in 1836-7, at a cost of £8240. It has room for 400 inmates, but has rarely so many. Clerk - J. Furness, St. Stephen's Chambers, Norwich. Medical Officers - Messrs. C.A. Owans, Stratton; J.L. Currie, Bungay; H.F. Howard, New Buckenham; W. Pratt, Pulham; F.R. Rose, Diss; J. Candler, Harleston; and H. Hardwicke, Saxlingham. School Attendance Officer - T.W. Garrood. Relieving Officers and School Enquiry Officers - Messrs. Edgar Shaw, Redenhall; George B. Mann, Dickleburgh; and George T. Myhill, Forncett St. Peter. Superintendent Registrar - J. Hotson, Long Stratton. Registrars of Marriages and Deaths - Henry Starr, Long Stratton; and the three relieving officers. Registrars of Marriages - Messrs. Edgar Shaw, Redenhall; G.T. Myhill, Forncett St. Peter; and F.R. Rose, Diss. Master of Workhouse - William J. Hardwick. Matron - Mrs. Emma S.M. Hardwick. No schoolmaster. Mixed school in future. Schoolmistress - Emma Kate Brock. Depwade Rural Sanitary Authority - Clerk, J, Furness; Medical Officer of Health, J. Candler; Inspector of Nuisances, T.W. Garrood, Tasburgh, Long Stratton.
POST OFFICE. at Henry William Churchyard's. Letters, viâ Harleston, arrive at 8 a.m. and depart at 5.15 p.m. This is a Telegraph Office.
Alexander Mr. Town farm Alger Henry cattle dealer Andrews Stephen farmer, Manor farm Bailey Edgar shoemaker Bailey Alfred carpenter Barber James thatcher Barker Matthew farmer Barnes John farmer and owner Baxter James farmer Bean John farmer Berrett Robert accountant, auctioneer, and valuer, rent and debt collector, and agent for the Norwich Union, Norwich Equitable, Briton, Norwich and London Accident, General Hailstorm, Imperial Live Stock, Eastern Counties Building Society, and Accident Insurance Cos Boughton Geo. glover and hairdresser Boughton Robt. gardener and thatcher Brown George farmer, Town farm Brown Robert farmer Buckle Charles shoemaker Buckingham Herbert, M.R.C.V.S.L h Harlston [sic] Carpenter Philip (exors. of) farmer Churchyard Henry Wm. grocer, draper, milliner, postmaster, and organist Clark Robert blacksmith Cook Henry shopkeeper Crisp John saddler Dolman Philip farmer, Julian farm Dolman Mr William Edwards George farmer Edwards John farmer Farrow Samuel vermin killer Feaveayer George farmer Fellows Rev. S. rector, The Rectory Flegg John farm steward Goldsmith Philip farmer and owner Gostling & Co. chemists, &c.; and Diss Gough Hadereza B. tailor and draper Gowing Robert farmer Grimes Mark superintendent of police Hart George farmer Hazill Charles vict. Crown Inn Hesketh Wm. National schoolmaster Howlett Edwd. carpenter and farmer Howlett Jacob farmer Jeffreys John pig killer King Robert farmer Kingsbury Misses Hannah & Emma Lait Miss Esther Lucretia day school Lait Mrs Esther Leggett Mrs Elizabeth Brook cottage Leggett George farmer and owner Mann Frederick farmer Middleton Mrs Mary Moore Mrs Lucy Muskett Charles manager Nash Arthur farm steward Nurse William farmer, owner, surveyor, and guardian Outlaw John butcher Overy Walter Henry station master Palmer Edward wheelwright Palmer Henry farm steward Parkerson Mr James Pead Mr Edmund Pratt Walter surgeon Randell John vict. Queen's Head Inn Rayson Thomas carpenter Reeve Willlam bricklayer, builder, and coal merchant Roberts - farmer and owner Rope James parish clerk Rope John miller Rope Wm. carpenter, painter, & glazier Rudling Joseph watchmaker Salter James farmer Salter Miss Mary Ann farmer Seago Edward pork butcher Skinner Charles farmer Skinner Samuel farmer, Fox hole Smith James farmer and overseer Smith Walter beerhouse Soanes John farmer Spicer William farmer Stannard Jno. frmr. & market gardener Stanton Miss Ellen baker Stimpson Richard farmer Tewsley Mr George Beech cottage Vince John blacksmith, tinner, and ironmonger Wade Richard carpenter Waller Mr John Waller John baker and flour dealer Waller Miss Mary Walne Thomas farmer Warnes Frederick tailor West Henry grocer and draper Wharten Mrs Wier Mrs Lydia vict. Falcon Inn Wilby Thomas pig killer Williams Jeremiah shopkeeper Wilton Frank farmer
RAILWAY STATION - G.E.R. Waveney valley, trains several times a day; W.H. Overy, station master
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
take out 'Lord Waveney;'
replace "trust for the poor" with "trust for the church and poor"
First paragraph after the table of parishes:
for 'W. Pratt,' read 'L. Paulley.'
take out 'Alexander Mr.,' 'Alger Henry,' 'Edwards George,' 'Seago Edward,' 'Tewsley Mr George.'
For 'Berrett Robert,' read 'Borrett Robert;'
for Brown 'George,' read 'Daniel;'
add J.P. to 'Fellows Rev. S.;'
for 'Pratt W.,' read 'Paulley Legge;'
for 'Rope' James, John, William, read 'Roope' in each case;
for Waller Miss 'Mary,' read 'Ellen;'
for 'Wharten,' read 'Wharton.'
See also the Pulham Market parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.