"RAYNHAM (EAST,) [sic] or Raynham St. Mary, a small village on the Swaffham road, 4 miles S.W. by S. of Fakenham, has in its parish 23 houses, 128 inhabitants, and 1,635 acres of land, including 212a. of wood, which, with 550a. of lawn and about 25a. of water, form the extensive and beautiful park of RAYNHAM HALL, the seat of Captain John Townshend, R.N. and M.P. for Tamworth. This splendid mansion was built near the site of an ancient moated Hall, in 1630, by Sir Roger Townshend, Bart., under the direction of the celebrated architect, Inigo Jones . . . . [The] rectory, valued in the King's book at £13 6s. 8d., and consolidated with West Raynham, [is] enjoyed by the Rev. Rd. Phayre, B.A. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower, and one bell." [Francis White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) - Transcription copyright © the late A.J. Carter]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Toftrees, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Raynham to another place.
East Raynham is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which East Raynham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF888253 (Lat/Lon: 52.791863, 0.799081), East Raynham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)