"RAYNHAM (SOUTH), or Raynham St. Martin, 5 miles S.W. by S. of Fakenham, has in its parish 32 houses, 155 souls, and 1,033 acres of land, nearly all the property of Capt. John Townshend, R.N., the lord of the manor, impropiator, and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, and is a vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6, and consolidated with Helhoughton, in the incumbency of the Rev. Hy. T. Lee, M.A." [Francis White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) - Transcription copyright © the late A.J. Carter]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Toftrees, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Martin.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Raynham to another place.
South Raynham is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which South Raynham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF880239 (Lat/Lon: 52.78008, 0.786721), South Raynham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)