Hide

Repps with Bastwick

hide
Hide

"REPPS-CUM-BASTWICK are two hamlets, half a mile from each other, and 10 miles N.W. by N. of Yarmouth. They form one parish, containing 314 souls, and about 1200A. of land, of which about 300 acres are marshes on the south side of the Thurne rivulet. Edward Lombe, Esq., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The Church at Repps is a small fabric, dedicated to St. Peter; but of that at Bastwick, nothing remains but the tower. The perpetual curacy was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1802, and valued at £106 in 1831, but in 1840, it was augmented with an additional £50 per annum out of the tithes, which are appropriated to the Great Hospital at Norwich, and were commuted in that year for the annual rent of £400, exclusive of 18s. to the Dean and Chapter, and 4s. 6d. to the vicar of Martham. The Norwich Charity Trustees are patrons, and the Rev. Charles Boutell, of Martham, is the incumbent. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide

Repps with Bastwick is also known as Repps.
See also Northrepps and Southrepps.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church of Repps is dedicated to St Peter.
    The parish church of Bastwick was also dedicated to St Peter, but it has been in ruins since before 1845.
topup

Church History

Church of St Peter at Repps
Description and pictures.
 
Church of St Peter at Bastwick
Description and pictures.
topup

Church Records

Baptisms, marriages and burials
Search the Flegg Island web pages.
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1923 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Repps with Bastwick was in Flegg Registration District. Between 1837 and 1850, the district was called East and West Flegg.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description and Travel

Repps Post Mill
Description, history and picture.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Repps with Bastwick which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Repps with Bastwick is in West Flegg Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Repps with Bastwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Tooke, Colin S.
Harvest.
Harvesting at Repps with Bastwick in the 1870s.
[Norwich, Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society (NIAS), in NIAS Journal, vol.2, no.5, 1980]
topup

Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG423172 (Lat/Lon: 52.69813, 1.585032), Repps with Bastwick which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.