William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
REYMERSTON, a small scattered village 3 miles N. of Hingham, is in Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Hingham polling district of South Norfolk, Mitford division of Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 303 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1624 acres of a rateable value of £2805 5s. About half the soil belongs to R.T. Gurdon, Esq., M.P., the lord of the manor called Calvelly; and the rest belongs to George Latham Press, Esq., and J.O. Howard Taylor, Esq., and the Staines and other families. The Hall, a pleasantly situated brick building, is the seat and property of George Latham Press, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is a neat fabric in the Early English style, consisting of nave with aisles, chancel, south porch and lofty square tower with five bells. The chancel stalls and the open benches of the nave have poppy heads, and both they and the altar rails are of handsomely carved oak. The aisles are filled with closed pews, and at the west end of the nave is a gallery containing an organ. A three-light window in the chancel is decorated with ancient stained glass of great richness, representing Our Saviour, St. John, and St. Peter. Here are monuments of the Long, Grigson, and Mann families.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 3s. 6d. and now at £467, is in the patronage of the lord of the manor, and incumbency of the Rev. R.M. Gawne, B.A., who has here 18A. 0R. 29P. of glebe, and a Rectory House, a commodious residence near the church.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL is a brick building erected in 1844 by the Gurdon family, and attended by about 50 children.
The Church Land, 11A. 1R. 16P., is let for £18. The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1798, is 14A. 28P., let for £26. The poor have an Easter dole, the sum of small benefactions left by Messrs. Mountain, Mouse, and others.
LETTER-BOX cleared for despatch at 5.15 p.m., and on Sundays at 10.15 p.m., viâ Attleborough. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Hingham.
Barnard Mrs. J.F. Barnard J.F. (exors. of) farmer Cary Louis farmer Clarke Miss Hebe schoolmistress Fuller Mr John Fuller John, jun. farmer and vict. The Black Horse Gawne Rev. Richard Murray B.A. rector, The Rectory High William farmer Hood William carpenter Jessop James and Robert carpenters Lock Mrs farmer Mendham William blacksmith Middleton William blacksmith Mortlock John farmer Norton William farmer Osborne Miss Harriet shopkeeper Patrick Richard farmer Press Mr George Latham The Hall Pyman Miss Ann farmer, Wood farm Rivett Fredk. beerhouse, Jolly Farmers Whiterod Joseph fmr.; h Southburgh
CARRIERS - Daniel Skipper passes through from Shipdham to Norwich on Sat.
See also the Reymerston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.