Norfolk: Riddlesworth with Gasthorpe
Population: 1811 and 1821
This Norfolk Record Office document [with the reference PD528/24 and MF 1400/30] contains the 1811 and 1821 population statistics and also some for later dates. They are to be found on the flyleaf before the Baptisms for 1813-1995 of the Parish Register for "Riddlesworth with Gasthorpe" (see Note 2). It contains only statistics ie. no names.
Population years available
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
The document contains the following information:-
An Account of the Parish of Riddlesworth May 27th 1811
Only five persons were included at the Hall, the family being in London (see Note 1).
An Account of the Parish of Gasthorpe May 27th 1811
4 Families each
An Account of the Parish of Riddlesworth May 1821
In this Account 17 Persons were living at the Hall.
An Account of the Parish of Gasthorpe May 1821
4 Families each
[End of Document]
- 1. Thomas THORNHILL Esq. moved into Riddlesworth Hall by April 1810 and owned it until 1844. (Land Tax records). John Thorisby BIRD was the Rector from 1815 until 1839.
- 2. Although Gasthorpe's Church was ruinous (it was last used for Baptisms and Marriages in 1739) its graveyard was still used into the 1800's. Parishioners mostly used Riddlesworth and some entries in the registers from the 1780's state that the person was of Gasthorpe and some say that burial took place there.
The following are extracted from the "Riddlesworth with Gasthorpe" Parish Registers (Entry nos in ""):-
-  John son of John & Sarah (nee WALKER) WOODS of Riddlesworth - Footman to T Thornhill Esq. 7th June 1819.
- All the following are servants to T Thornhill
-  14th Jan 1821 - Francis CROWTHER - Footman
-  28th Apr 1821 - William LAWRENCE - Gardener
-  4th Mar 1822 - Michael GREEN - Under Game Keeper
-  7th Oct 1823 - Michael WILCOX - Coachman
-  18th Jul 1825 - William EVANS - Cook
- There are entries for 2 other Servants, a Butler and other names against occupations above.
-  Thomas THORNHILL Esqr Riddlesworth Hall - 49 Berkeley Square [London] - buried 5th June 1844 aged 63 years.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.