Norfolk: Ridlington


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

RIDLINGTON, 4½ miles E. of North Walsham railway station, is in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Walsham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 195 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 590 acres of land. The rateable value in 1881 was £1337.

Most of the soil belongs to Edward George Cubitt, Esq., of Honing Hall, and Messrs. Samuel Nash and Thomas Bush; but Mrs. Anna Maria Shepheard, of North Walsham, is lady of the manor. About 80 acres are titheable to Walcot, and a small portion of Walcot pays tithe to this parish.

The CHURCH (St. Peter) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and tower. The latter is surmounted by figures of the evangelists in lieu of pinnacles. The chancel has been re-seated, and a new east window added, at the expense of the present rector. The nave sadly needs restoring, especially the roof, and funds are being raised for commencing the work. The Register dates from the year 1557.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 6s. 8d., and now at £210, with East Ruston vicarage annexed to it, in the alternate patronage of the Earl of Kimberley and the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The Rev. William Muskett Hobson, of St. Catherine College, Cambridge, is the incumbent, who is non-resident, as there is no rectory house.

The parish is united with East Ruston School Board.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Cotes's. Letters are received at 10.30 a.m., and are despatched at 2.10 p.m. North Walsham is the nearest Money Order Office.

         Barker    James         sexton
         Clements  Benjamin      shopkeeper and shoemaker
         Fields    Henry         farmer
         Goult     John          farmer
         Hobson    Rev. William
                     Muskett     rector, and vicar of East Ruston
         Howes     Robert Wm.    farmer, surveyor, Common farm
         Jimpson   Robert        farmer
         King      George        farmer
         Marler    Robert        farmer
         Newstead  Abm.          vict. Plough Inn
         Purdy     Marcham       land owner, White hs.
         Riches    William       farmer


The church is about to be re-roofed. To put the church into substantial repair will cost about £400, towards which sum a little over £100 has been collected.

See also the Ridlington parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2007