Rockland All Saints with St Andrew
"ROCKLAND (ALL SAINTS and ST. ANDREW,) are two adjoining parishes, with a scattered village (chiefly cottages,) distant 4 miles W. of Attleborough, and extending into Rockland St. Peter's. . . . All Saints has 352 souls, and 916 acres; and St. Andrews has 124 souls and 669 acres. Wayland Union Workhouse is in the former parish . . . . The Rev. Sir E.B. Smyth, Bart., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manors of Kirkhall, Moynes, and Gurneys, in Rockland Tofts, and Carbonels, in Rockland. St. Andrew's church was dilapidated when Blomefield wrote, and the benefice consolidated with All Saints' Church, a small fabric, with a square tower and three bells. The discharged and consolidated rectories of All Saints and St. Andrew are valued in the King's Book at £10. 19s. 4d., and in 1831, at £1025 per annum, with that of Caston annexed to them. The Rev. B. Barker, of Shipdham, is patron and incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright ©Pamela Littlefair]
Rockland All Saints with St Andrew is about 11 miles N.E. of Thetford.
Rockland is also the name of the deanery, so a reference to Rockland could mean this parish, or this area of Norfolk.
Rockland All Saints with St Andrew and Rockland St Peter are adjoining parishes, called The Rocklands.
Rockland St Mary is about 20 miles away.
See also Rockland St Mary and Rockland St Peter.
- Wayland Union Workhouse was in this parish.
- 1881: Wayland Union Workhouse
- 1891: Rockland All Saints with St Andrew, and Wayland Union Workhouse: Surname List
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish churches are dedicated to All Saints and to St Andrew.
- The Rocklands
- Rockland All Saints with St Andrew, and Rockland St Peter.
Parish Council, news, organisations, history, pictures, etc.
- Leslie Cook; and Cynthia Cook
- Rocklands: Beginnings to 1988
Articles written by Leslie Cook for the Rocklander Parish Magazine, about history, churches, family history, etc.
- Rockland All Saints Tower Mill
- Description and history.
- Rockland St Andrew Post Mill
- Description, history and map.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rockland All Saints with St Andrew to another place.
Rockland All Saints with St Andrew is in Shropham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Shropham Hundred
- Description of Shropham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Rockland All Saints with St Andrew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Rockland Parishes Inclosure Act, 1812.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Rockland Saint Andrew, Rockland All Saints, and Rockland Saint Peter, in the county of Norfolk: 20th April 1812.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1812]
[London, C. Baldwin, printer, 1812]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL992967 (Lat/Lon: 52.531679, 0.935039), Rockland All Saints with St Andrew which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
After 1834 Rockland All Saints with St Andrew became part of the Wayland Union, and the workhouse was in this parish.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1841 and 1851 Censuses
- "The Return for Rockland All Saints Parish includes 36 persons in 1841, and 75 in 1851, in the Wayland Union Workhouse. Rockland All Saints, and Rockland St Andrew, are ecclesiastically united."
- 1861 Census
- "WAYLAND. The general decrease of population in the Attleborough Subdistrict is mainly attributed to emigration."
- 1911 Census
- Out of the population of 408, 88 were in a large establishment or institution. This was probably the workhouse.