Rockland St Mary
"ROCKLAND ST. MARY is a large scattered village, 5½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, on the south side of the open vale of the Yare, near a rivulet which expands into a lake, or "broad," of 60 acres, navigable to the river. Its parish contains 473 inhabitants, and 1338A. 2R. 6P. of land, belonging to several proprietors, the largest of whom are Rt. Gilbert, jun., Esq., Rd. Crawshay, Esq., and Sir C.H. Rich. The latter is lord of the principal manor. It was anciently in two parishes, called Rockland Major and Minor, or Rockland St. Mary and St. Margaret, and had two Churches in the same burial ground. St. Margaret's, which had no tower, was dilapidated several centuries ago, but part of its ruined walls still remain, covered with ivy. St. Mary's, the present parish church, is a small edifice, with a square tower and three bells. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £350, with a mediety of Holverstone rectory annexed to it, in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Dewe, B.D." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Rockland St Mary is south east of Norwich. It has no connection with Rockland All Saints with St Andrew,
and Rockland St Peter, which are adjoining parishes between Watton and Wymondham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church was dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rockland St Mary to another place.
Rockland St Mary is in Henstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
- Description of Henstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Rockland St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims (49): Claxton and Rockland.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1808.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Claxton and Rockland Saint Mary Inclosure Act, 1808.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Claxton and Rockland, in the county of Norfolk: 27th May 1808.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG314043 (Lat/Lon: 52.587094, 1.414489), Rockland St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)