William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
ROLLESBY is a large scattered village and parish, 8 miles N.W. by N. of Yarmouth, containing 589 inhabitants, 1407 acres of enclosed land, and about 200 acres of the waters, called the Broads. J.M. Ensor, Esq., now in France, owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. He formerly resided at the Hall, a handsome building, which was in the Elizabethan style, but was new fronted with white brick, and otherwise improved, about 18 years ago. It is now unoccupied, and delightfully situated east of the village, in the vale of the Broads, eight of which unite, and covering a long strip of 400 acres, form the largest fresh water lake in the county.
The Church (St. George) stands on an eminence, at the west end of the village, and has monuments of the Claxton, Gleane, and Mapes families. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, and now having a clear yearly rent of £648 in lieu of tithes, by commutation in 1839. J.M. Ensor, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. E.S. Ensor, B.A., incumbent.
The Workhouse for the incorporated Hundreds of East and West Flegg, stands in this parish, on a declivity near the Broads, and is already noticed at page 293 [which is the entry for East and West Flegg Hundreds]. In 1836 it was partly destroyed by fire, (supposed to be the work of an incendiary,) and its restoration cost about £2000. A fire-engine is now kept on the premises.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure of Rollesby in 1816, comprises 23A. 1R. 32P., now let for about £15 a year, which is distributed in coals. In 1620 and 1669, Cphr. Amys and Leonard Mapes left to the poor parishioners 1½A. of land, now let for £4. 10s., which is applied towards the support of a Sunday School, which was opened as a daily National School, in 1844.
Annison Rd. Steward wheelwright Annison Rt. thatcher and beerhouse Baldry Wm. shoemaker Boyce Mr John Brown Benj. vict. Horse and Groom Day Mr John Derry Rt. thatcher Ensor Jno. M. Esq. Hall. (In France) Ensor Rev Edmund S., B.A. Rectory Frosdick Danl. beerhs. & shopkr Frosdick Dl. sen carrier to Yarmouth Gaze Richd. sen. & jun. joiners Gorble Wm. gardener Harris George farrier Laws Jas. parish clerk and schoolr. Mason Wm. shopkeeper Mountseer John master of the Workhouse and Superintdt. Registrar Norman Rd. Briton canvass, tarpauling, sacking, net, &c. mfr. Ransome Edw. overseer & surveyor Blacksmiths. Appleton John Nicholls Wm. Skoyles Wm. FARMERS. * are owners. Baldry George * Fabb Richard * Chapman Jas. Harman Henry * Christmas John Kemp Robert Clarke Wm. Lincoln James, (farm bailiff) Curtis Richard Ransome John * Denham John Vellum Wm. Durrant Robert Wright Ann
See also the Rollesby parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.