William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby and Juanita Hadwin]
ROLLESBY is a large scattered village and parish, 8 miles N.W. by N. of Yarmouth, comprising 1407 acres of enclosed land, and about 200 acres of the waters called the Broads. It is in West Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Ormesby polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 557 inhabitants in 1881, and has a rateable value of £3457.
Major Charles Ensor owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The Hall, a handsome building, which was in the Elizabethan style, but was new fronted with white brick and otherwise improved in 1824, is now rented by General Sarel, C.B., and is delightfully situated east of the village, in the vale of the Broads, eight of which unite, and, covering a long strip of 400 acres, forms the largest fresh-water lake in the county. There are some buildings of great antiquity near the church.
The CHURCH (St. George) stands on an eminence at the west end of the village, and consists of nave with aisles, chancel, south porch, and tower. The latter is round at the base and octagonal above, and contains three bells. In the chancel is a raised altar-tomb, dated 1601, and bearing a recumbent effigy of Miss Rose Claxton, in Elizabethan dress. Here is also an ancient monument in marble, with figures of Leonard Mapes, Esq., his wife and family, in the attitude of prayer. The chancel was restored in 1873, at the expense of the rector, Rev. R. Tacon, and a new east window put in. The Register dates from 1550, in one book.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, and now having a clear yearly rent-charge of £648, awarded in lieu of tithes in 1839. The executors of Charles Tacon, Esq., are the patrons, and the Rev. Richard Tacon, M.A., J.P., is the incumbent. The rector is of an ancient and noble Spanish family, one of whom was Governor of Madrid in the 15th century, and another Captain-General of Cuba in the 18th. The rectory house was enlarged by the Rev. Edmund Ensor, and is now a large residence.
Here is a National School, enlarged in 1873, and also a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, near the Broad.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure of Rollesby in 1816, comprises 23A. 1R. 32P., let for about £23 a year, which is distributed in coal. In 1620 and 1669, Christopher Amys and Leonard Mapes left to the poor parishioners 1½ acres of land, let for £4 10s., which is applied towards the support of a Sunday School.
The parishes of East and West Flegg were incorporated for parochial purposes by an Act of the 15th of George III. (1774); and a House of Industry, for the reception of the poor of both hundreds, was erected at Rollesby in 1776, and enlarged in 1818 and 1837, so that it will now accommodate 280 paupers, though the number of inmates seldom exceeds 100.
It is under the control of forty-eight guardians, chosen yearly, and a number of directors, consisting of all the magistrates and freeholders of £200 per annum resident in the incorporated parishes. The dietary system now in use has been introduced by the Poor Law Commissioners, who have here no further authority than the Poor Law Act gives them in similiar incorporations.
R. Kidman, Esq., is chairman of the Board of Directors and Acting Guardians, and J. Cory, Esq., is their clerk. John Turpin Waller, Esq., of Burgh, is superintendent registrar; Mr. Thomas Bradfield, registrar of marriages; and Mr. A. Crisp, of Martham, and Mr. Thomas Bradfield, of Caister, registrars of births and deaths. Mr. James Linford is the relieving officer, and Messrs. Robert Woodman and A. Crisp, surgeons. The Rev. J.W. Clapcott is chaplain, and Mr. James Lewell and Miss Harris master and matron of the workhouse.
In 1862, the Board of Directors and Acting Guardians formed itself into a Board of Health, under the powers of the Public Health Acts, and has already made several useful sanitary improvements. G.M. Beck, Esq., of Great Ormesby, is chairman; John Cory, Esq., clerk; and Mr. T. Edmonds, inspector of nuisances.
The following is an enumeration of the parishes in the union:-
[There is no indication of the meanings of "W" and "w", but there is a similiar table on page 763, for Erpingham Union at North Walsham. Below that table is this text: "(w) denotes the area includes water, &c,; and (W) that the workhouse is situated here."]
Petty Sessions for the division of East and West Flegg (see page 34 [which is the entry for the Norfolk Petty Sessional Divisions, showing the parishes in this division]) are held every alternate Tuesday, at the Workhouse, Rollesby; and every alternate Wednesday, at the Police Court, Yarmouth. The following justices' houses are occasional court houses where prisoners may be tried:- Sir E.K. Lacon, M.P., Ormesby House; Rev. Charles Lucas, Filby House; G.R. Copeman, Esq., Hemsby Hall; T.W. Daniel, Esq., Thrigby House; B.J. Cuddon-Fletcher, Esq., Somerton Hall; Rev. R. Tacon, Rectory House, Rollesby; G.M. Beck, Esq., The Lodge, Ormesby; and Rev. S. Blofeld, Ormesby Vicarage. Charles Diver, Esq., is clerk to the magistrates.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Samuel Arthur Gibbs's. Letters from Yarmouth arrive at 7 a.m., depart at 6.15 p.m. Martham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station, two miles distant.
ANNISON Richard parish clerk BALDRY John shopkeeper BARBER Samuel farmer and butcher BOWLES Mr Thomas CLAXTON Miss Martha matron, Union Workhouse COPPIN Charles John farmer CROWE Edwd. whlwright. & blksmith DANIEL George farmer, Church farm DANIELS Hubert Edward farmer at Potter Heigham DONHAM Mrs farmer FRANCIS John market gardener FROSDICK James farmer FROSDICK James, jun. market gardener GAZE George frmr. and mkt. gardener GEORGE James market gardener GIBBS Samuel Arthur blacksmith and post office HARRIS Miss Hannah schoolmistress, Union Workhouse JOHNSON Benjamin land steward KEMP Mrs Maria LEWELL Jas. master, Union Workhouse LINCOLN Richard Fabb assistant overseer LAURIE David farmer MYHILL John market gardener REVELL Miss Emily schoolmistress RICHES Mrs Mary Ann victualler, Horse and Groom RISING Mrs Ann Bridget RISING Thomas farmer SAREL General Henry Andrew, C.B. Rollesby Hall SHEEVE George carrier SIMNETT Wm. frmr. and mkt. gardener TACON Rev. Richard John, M.A. J.P. rector, Rectory TURNER Mr Benjamin WRIGHT Samuel grocer and draper YOUNG Chas. farmer & mkt. gardener YOUNG Fredk. frmr. & mkt. gardener
CARRIER -- George Sheeve, to Yarmouth
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
"in Descriptive, line 33, for 'J. Cory,' read 'C. Diver.'"
In the original there is no "J. Cory" in line 33.
- J. Cory appears in line 32
- as clerk to the Board of Directors and Acting Guardians of the House of Industry
- and John Cory appears in line 39
- as clerk to the Board of Health.
See also the Rollesby parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.