William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
ROUDHAM is a parish, 2½ miles W. of East Harling, in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Shropham hundred, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 167 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2085 acres, and has a rateable value of £3071 5s. The soil, which is sandy, mostly belongs to Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart., the lord of the manor and patron of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £4 16s. 5½d., and is now worth £86 a year.
The Rev. Frederick Thorne, B.D., is the incumbent, and the inhabitants attend his church at Bridgham, their own CHURCH (St. Andrew) being destroyed by fire nearly a century and a half ago, though some of its ruined walls and tower are still standing.
Mr. Timothy Colman, of East Harling, owns a small farm here. Mr. Edward Mornement, who resides at the Hall, farms nearly the whole of the parish. Harling Road Station, on the Great Eastern Railway, is in this parish.
POST from East Harling, viâ Thetford, arrives at 8 a.m. The nearest Letter Box is at Bridgham, closes at 6 p.m.; Sundays, 10 a.m. East Harling is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Banham & corn, seed, coal, and coke merchts. Harling
Vince Road station; and at North Elmham station
Banham Henry Ernest merchant (B. & Vince), Harling Road station
Doe Charles shoemaker
Mornement Edward farmer and merchant, Roudham Hall
Raynor Robert farmer
Stammers Henry victualler, Dolphin, Harling Road station
Roudham Junction Railway Station; James Walpole, stationmaster
East Harling Road Railway Station; Edwin Woodcock, stationmaster
See also the Roudham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.