"ROUGHAM is a small but pleasant village, 14 miles E. of Lynn, and 8 miles N. of Swaffham. Its parish contains 367 inhabitants, and 2,520 acres of land, in four farms, belonging to Frederick North, Esq,. of Hastings, whose ancestors were formerly seated here in a handsome hall, . . . Of this family was the eminent Lord Chief Justice North; and here was also seated a branch of the Yelvertons, afterwards Earls of Sussex, one of whom was Sir Wm. Yelverton, Lord Chief Justice, in the reign of Elizabeth. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, . . . The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £1. 8s. 6½d., and in 1831, at £206, was augmented in 1762-7 with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Smith, of Newhaven, is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes belong to the owner of the soil. The parish participates in the Free School at Great Massingham. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rougham to another place.
Rougham is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Rougham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Entries from the Domesday Book, and Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England.
- Mackie, Ian
- Rougham Brickworks.
[Norwich, Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society, in "Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society", vol 1, no.4, 1973]
- Trett, Robert
- Rougham Brickworks.
[Norwich, Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society, in "Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society", vol.2, no.4, 1979]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF831205 (Lat/Lon: 52.750841, 0.711364), Rougham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- See Norfolk People and Families
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.