Hide

Norfolk: Rougham

hide
Hide

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ROUGHAM is a small but pleasant village, 14 miles E. of Lynn, and 8 miles N. of Swaffham. Its parish contains 367 inhabitants, and 2,520 acres of land, in four farms, belonging to Frederick North, Esq,. of Hastings, whose ancestors were formerly seated here in a handsome hall, of which nothing now remains but some of the foundation walls, though the surrounding pastures still retain a park-like appearance, studded with many stately trees. Of this family was the eminent Lord Chief Justice North; and here was also seated a branch of the Yelvertons, afterwards Earls of Sussex, one of whom was Sir Wm. Yelverton, Lord Chief Justice, in the reign of Elizabeth.

The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has several monuments, with some fine brasses, of these and other families; and over its west door is a mutilated piece of antique sculpture, representing the crucifixion, with figures of angels, &c., under a Gothic canopy. In the windows are some fragments of stained glass. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £1. 8s. 6½d., and in 1831, at £206, was augmented in 1762-7 with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Smith, of Newhaven, is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes belong to the owner of the soil.

The parish participates in the Free School at Great Massingham. The POST OFFICE is at the Crown Inn, where the Mail Gig, from Swaffham to Fakenham, &c., arrives and departs daily.

DIRECTORY:

         Chapman  James       blacksmith         Chilvers Geo.        blacksmith         Hudson   Robt.       shoemaker         Manning  Edwd.       cattle dealer;         Rayner   James       vict,. Crown Inn         Santy    George      butcher         Sculfer  Geo.        shoemaker             shopkeepers          farmers          Coe      John        Coe      Ann         Frost    Geo.        Matthew  Norman         Lyng     John        Ringer   Thos.         Parnell  Robert      Whaites  Chas. 

See also the Rougham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2002