William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
ROUGHAM is a small village, 14 miles E. of Lynn, and 8 miles N. of Swaffham. It is in Mitford union, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch petty sessional division, Swaffham county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 389 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2627 acres. The rateable value was £3784.
Its parish belongs to Charles North, Esq., whose ancestors were formerly seated here in a handsome Hall, of which nothing now remains but some of the foundation walls, in a park studded with many stately trees. Of this family was the eminent Lord Chief Justice North; and here was also seated a branch of the Yelvertons, afterwards Earls of Sussex, one of whom was Sir William Yelverton, Lord Chief Justice in the reign of Elizabeth.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, vestry, and tower, containing a handsome clock with three dials, given by Miss North in 1851. The north transept, being in a ruinous condition, was pulled down when the chancel was restored in 1878, and the window placed in the new vestry. Here are several fine brasses, and a tablet to the memory of the Hon. Roger North. Over the west door, under a canopy, is a mutilated carving of the Crucifixion.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £1 8s. 6½d., and augmented in 1762-7 with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, is in the patronage of the Queen, and the incumbency of the Rev. Molyneux Sheffield Crampton Fitzhardinge Hardinge, who has a yearly rent-charge of £255. The vicar resides at Norwich. The parsonage was built in 1847.
The rectorial tithes belong to the owner of the soil, and the parish is entitled to send two boys to the school at Massingham.
POST, MONEY ORDER, SAVINGS BANK and TELEGRAPH OFFICE, at Mrs. Catherine Thomas Thomas'. Letters arrive at 5.30 a.m., and delivered at 7 a.m. Box closes at 7 p.m.; despatched at 7.20 p.m., per mail cart from Swaffham. Little Massingham is the nearest Railway Station.
BARNES Mrs Ann shopkeeper BATTERBEE Mrs Frances shopkeeper BUNFIELD Charles dealer CHAPMAN James blacksmith CHILVERS George blacksmith DENNIS George shoemaker FORSTER Alfred Wharton farmer and victualler, Crown FROST George shopkeeper HEAD John pork butcher HILTON C. higgler & carrier to Lynn HOWELL Charles shopkeeper, higgler, and carrier NORTH Charles, Esq., M.A., D.L., J.P. Rougham hall RINGER Horace Lock & Herbert Everett farmers SCULPHER James farmer SCULPHER Jas. Thos. frmr. Viper wood SCULPHER Geo. Dennis boot & shoe mkr SKIPPER Edward assistant overseer THOMAS Alfred Benjamin butcher and parish clerk THOMAS Mrs Catherine Thomas stationer, Post office
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
The Rev. W.B. Weighall is now the vicar.
See also the Rougham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.