"ROUGHTON, 6½ miles N. by E. of Aylsham, has in its parish 404 souls, and 1740 acres of land, including 371A. of open heath, on which the parishioners cut fuel. Lord Suffield owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The Church (St. Mary,) has a round embattled tower, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now having 29A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £96, awarded in lieu of small tithes, in 1839, when the great tithes were commuted for £197 per annum. The latter are held by Lord Suffield of the Bishop of Ely, the patron of the living, which is now enjoyed by the Rev. Fleetwood Churchill. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The FREE SCHOOL, now conducted on the national system, was founded by the Rev. Robt. Brown, in 1694, and the master now derives about £45 a year from the school property, exclusive of the use of the dwelling-house, and about five acres of land " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Repps, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Morland, A.
- A Short Guide to St Mary's Church, Roughton.
[North Walsham, Rounce and Wortley, 1960]
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Baptisms 1725-1812, Marriages 1725-1812 and Burials 1725-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Roughton to another place.
Roughton is in North Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for North Erpingham Hundred
- Description of North Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Roughton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG218371 (Lat/Lon: 52.885706, 1.295955), Roughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Hayes, Glenda
- St Mary's: The First 300 years: The History of St Mary's Primary School.