Norfolk: Roydon (near King's Lynn)


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ROYDON is a village and parish within the purlieus of the borough and peculiar jurisdiction of Castle-Rising, 6 miles E.N.E. of Lynn, comprising 174 inhabitants, 526A. of enclosed land, and several 100 acres of an extensive heath, stretching hence to Castle-Rising and Grimstone[.]

Mrs., and the Hon. F.G. Howard, own the manor, and are patrons of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to All Saints, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and consolidated with Castle-Rising. The Rectory House, occupied by the curate, was built in 1840, and the church was repaired in 1844.

In 1454, a large and beautiful manor-house, called the Rey, built by the Wodehouse family, was pulled down, in consequence of a disputed claim between John Wodehouse and Thomas Danyel, Esqrs.

This parish participates in the benefits of the Hospital at Castle-Rising.


         Catton   John             bricklayer
         Gates    Henry            tailor and vict., Three Horse Shoes
         Harpley  Henry            bricklayer and beer house keeper
         Mynors   Rev. T.H., M.A.  curate
         Smith    Robert           shoemaker
         Saunders Roger            parish clerk
         Carter   Thomas
         Fisher   Mary Ann
         Gay      Thomas
         Hudson   Henry            (to William Hunter)
         Manning  Wm.

See also the Roydon (near King's Lynn) parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2002