Norfolk: Roydon (near King's Lynn)
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
ROYDON is a village and parish within the purlieus of the borough and peculiar jurisdiction of Castle Rising, 6 miles E.N.E. of Lynn in Freebridge union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, and Lynn Norfolk rural deanery of Norwich archdeaconry. It had 186 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1351 acres of land, and has a rateable value of about £850. Grimston Road station, on the Lynn and Fakenham line, is in this parish, near the village.
The parish includes an extensive heath, stretching hence to Castle Rising and Grimston. The trustees of the Hon. Grenville T. Howard own the manor. In the parish is a large pit of fine white sand, large quantities of which are sent to all parts of the country, and used in the manufacture of glass.
The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, chancel, and south porch, in the Norman style, rebuilt in 1862 by the patroness, and a western tower of the Perpendicular period containing one bell. The north and south doorways belonged to the original church, and are good specimens of Norman work. The font is square, and supported by four marble pillars, surrounding a central shaft. The chancel contains sedilia for two priests, and a piscina, and on its north side is an organ. The chancel arch is elaborately ornamented, and the nave is filled with open benches.
In 1876 the east window was filled with stained glass, in memory of Miss Ann Gay, by subscription; and in 1878 a reredos was added, in memory of the late Hon. Mrs. Howard, likewise by subscription; the west window is also enriched with stained glass. The Registers date from 1661.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued at £5, and consolidated with Castle Rising. The Howard trustees are patrons. The rectory house, which is occupied by the curate, was built in 1840.
The school is attended by about 40 children. In 1454 a large and beautiful manor house, called the Rey, built by the Wodehouse family, was pulled down, in consequence of a disputed claim between John Wodehouse and Thomas Danyel, Esqs. This parish participates in the benefits of the Hospital at Castle Rising.
POST from Lynn.
BARRETT Robt. grocer, draper, & tailor BONE George Robert stationmaster & coal agent BUNTING William coal agent CARTER Mr Thomas DUNHAM William victualler, Three Horse Shoes, and carpenter EMMERSON John carpenter EVERARD Mrs FISHER Christopher farmer GATES Henry farmer MILNE Rev. James, B.A. curate MOORE Mrs Mary farmer OLVIS Mrs. schoolmistress PUNG Miss Sarah Ann farmer SMITH L. vict. The Plough THOMPSON John farmer, The Hall
See also the Roydon (near King's Lynn) parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.