"RUDHAM (EAST) is a considerable village, on the Lynn road, 7 miles W. of Fakenham, celebrated for two large annual fairs for cattle and merchandise, held on May 17th and October 14th, under a charter granted by King John to the ancient and honourable family of Belet, who long held this parish, and founded in it Coxford Priory, on the banks of a rivulet, nearly 2 miles E. of the village, adjacent to Tattersett. . . . East Rudham has increased its population since 1801, from 572 to 994 souls, and has in its parish 3,903A. 2R. 10P. of land, but only 3,779 acres are assessable. Most of it belongs to Lord Charles Townshend, the lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (St Mary,) which has a low embattled tower, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 6s. 8d., and united with the vicarage of West Rudham, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Bland. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £407. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1839, at £560 per annum to the incumbent, and £995 to the impropriator. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also West Rudham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- East Rudham Marriages 1562-1837, with protestation roll for 1641/2.
- See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 8.
- Parish Registers
- List of Surnames of People who come from other Parishes
(these people are often known as "Strays")
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- Bishop's Transcripts
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Rudham to another place.
East Rudham is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which East Rudham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Domesday Book
- Entries for East and West Rudham.
- Astley, Hugh John Dukinfield
- Two Norfolk villages.
(East Rudham and West Rudham)
[Journal of the British Archaeological Association, Second or New series, 7; 1901]
[Norwich, Agas H. Goose (revised and reprinted from the above journal, with additional notes and translations), 1901]
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims (59): East Rudham, West Rainham and Helhoughton.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1819.
- Great Britain: Statute
- East Rudham, West Rainham and Helhoughton Inclosure Act, 1819.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of East Rudham, West Rainham, and Helhoughton, in the county of Norfolk: 19th May 1819.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1819]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF833284 (Lat/Lon: 52.822164, 0.718228), East Rudham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)