Norfolk: East Rudham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
RUDHAM (EAST) is a considerable village and parish, on the Lynn road, 7 miles W. of Fakenham, in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. East Rudham civil parish had 781 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3891 acres, and has a rateable value of £4626; but its ancient parish also comprises Broomsthorpe hamlet, which is noticed on page 171 [which is the entry for Broomsthorpe]. Most of the parish belongs to the Marquis of Townshend, the lord of the manor.
The parish was celebrated for two annual fairs (now discontinued) for cattle and merchandise, held on May 17 and October 14, under a charter granted by King John to the ancient family of Belet, who long held this parish, and founded in it Coxford Priory, on the banks of a rivulet, nearly 2 miles E. of the village, adjacent to Tattersett. This extensive priory, of which but little is known, had a boundary wall enclosing about 30 acres; and two large pieces of it, with a noble arch, are still standing. It was granted at the Dissolution to Thomas, Duke of Norfolk. A small pot of Roman coins was dug up among the ruins, in 1719.
The CHURCH (St Mary) comprises nave, aisles, south porch, transept, and low square tower with three bells. The chancel was partially restored in 1860, and contains a small organ. In the south transept is a mural tablet to the Manby family. In 1873 the church was entirely restored, and the tower, which had fallen in 1871, rebuilt. The total cost being £2200, towards which the Marquis of Townshend gave £1200. In the porch is a remarkable old centre boss of the Trinity, and over the end of the south transept a fine old cross. Some curious alabasters were brought to light during restoration, one representing the coronation of the Virgin Mary.
The Marquis of Townshend is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £6. 6s. 8d., and is now consolidated with that of West Rudham, in the incumbency of the Rev. Francis Garratt Wilson, B.A., who has here a residence built in 1861, and one acre of glebe. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted, in 1839, for £560 to the vicar and £995 to the impropriator.
The National School is a neat Elizabethan building of brick, erected by subscription in 1859, at a cost of £800, and attended by about 180 children from the two Rudhams.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
The Fuel Allotment, 20 acres, was awarded in 1821, and the poor have £5 a year from Lady Berkeley's charity, left in 1617.
POST, MONEY ORDER, and TELEGRAPH OFFICE, and SAVINGS BANK at Mr. J. Dewing's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 4.40 p.m., via Swaffham.
Beaver George bricklayer Bonner Hy. Calthrop farmer Bower Wm. John Thos. veterinary surgeon M.R.C.V.S. Bussey John victualler, Rangers' Inn, Coxford Coe Hy. chemist, druggist, & newsagt Cook J.T. & Co. coal merts.; & Lynn Chrisp Samuel blacksmith & shopkpr Defew Horace William saddler and harness maker Dewing James postmaster Drage Mrs Drage corn, seed, wool, wine & spirit & Son merchants; and Fakenham Drage Thomas B. (& Son) Drew James bootmaker Frost John miller and baker Gilham James beerhouse Harrison Arthur E. & M. Railway stationmaster Hawes Hy. parish clerk & whlwrght Hendle Edwd. Hendle vict. Crown Howard Thomas hawker Huggins Samuel John watchmaker Kitton Mr Robert Thomas Kitton Wm. Henry grocer & draper; and at Great Bircham Manby surgeons & Manby Manby Alan Reeve, (M. & M.), and hon. sec. to Royal M.R.C.S.(Eng.) Medical Benevolent Fund Manby Frederic (M. & M.) M.R.C.S.(Eng.) Mays Mr William (exors. of) Osborne Alfred plumber & glazier Pamment Thomas coal dealer and shopkeeper (exors. of) Parker Edward tailor Powell Thomas blacksmith Riches Thomas tailor Roberts Robert schoolmaster Rollings William carpenter Rudd Thomas shopkeeper & carrier Secker Augustus butcher Shaul Henry tailor Steadman John Bayes farmer Stringer William beerhouse Summersford Rev. A.J. curate Tipple Edward bootmaker Tipple Miss Elizabeth shopkeeper Tipple John carpenter Twiddy Robert beerhouse Twiddy John wheelwright Wade John grocer and draper Wilson Rev. Fras. vicar Garratt, B.A. Woods Fredk. farmer and dealer
West Norfolk Coal Co. coal merts.; and Lynn
RAILWAY - Lynn & Fakenham statn,; H. Chester, stationmaster
CARRIER - T. Rudd, to Norwich, Tues. and to Lynn, Saturday
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the East Rudham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.