"RUDHAM, (WEST) a parish and village, adjoining the above [East Rudham], 8 miles W. by S. of Fakenham, has 490 inhabitants, and 2,438 acres, of which, 100 acres are heath, 180 pasture, and the rest arable. . . . A great part of the soil belongs to Lord Charles Townshend, the Marquis Cholmondeley, G. W. Chad, Esq., and Money Curtis, Esq., and lies in the manors of Houghton, Castleacre, and Northall, or St Faiths'. The CHURCH (St. Peter,) has a nave, south aisle, chancel, and a short tower; and in the same enclosure, there was a chapel dedicated to All Saints standing in 1493. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 6s. 8d., and consolidated with the rectory of East Rudham. Lord Charles Townshend is patron, and also impropriator of the rectorial tithes." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also East Rudham, where there is more information about this parish.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Rudham to another place.
West Rudham is in Gallow Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Gallow Hundred
- Description of Gallow Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which West Rudham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF817280 (Lat/Lon: 52.818585, 0.695398), West Rudham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)