Norfolk: West Rudham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845RUDHAM, (WEST) a parish and village, adjoining the above [East Rudham], 8 miles W. by S. of Fakenham, has 490 inhabitants, and 2,438 acres, of which, 100 acres are heath, 180 pasture, and the rest arable. A small brook runs through the village, and gives rise to the river Wensum. A great part of the soil belongs to Lord Charles Townshend, the Marquis Cholmondeley, G. W. Chad, Esq., and Money Curtis, Esq., and lies in the manors of Houghton, Castleacre, and Northall, or St Faiths'.
The CHURCH (St. Peter,) has a nave, south aisle, chancel, and a short tower; and in the same enclosure, there was a chapel dedicated to All Saints standing in 1493. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 6s. 8d., and consolidated with the rectory of East Rudham. Lord Charles Townshend is patron, and also impropriator of the rectorial tithes.
Barrett Mrs. Mary Cannell Annison baker & Temp. Hotel Colman Thos. shoemaker & beerhs. Gathercole John joiner Goose Robert carpenter Payne James bricklayer Parsons Edward blacksmith Piggott Michael John watch maker Powell William vict., Duke's Head Riches John & Son tailors & drapers Sharpin Thomas gardener Waller Richard cooper Stringer William carrier to Norwich and Lynn FARMERS. Algar Robert Barnett John Curtis Henry Harper John Rathborn Wm. Tingay Thos. R. Wightman John
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the West Rudham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.