Norfolk: West Rudham


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

RUDHAM (WEST), a parish and village adjoining the above [East Rudham], 8 miles W. by S. of Fakenham, is in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 473 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2835 acres, and has a rateable value of £3251.

A small brook, which runs through the village, gives rise to the river Wensum. The soil belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley, the Marquis of Townshend, and Mr. M. Dawson; and lies in the manors of Houghton, Castleacre, and Northall or St. Faith's.

The CHURCH (St. Peter) has a nave, south aisle, chancel, and a low square tower with three bells. The chancel contains a piscina and a harmonium. A chapel dedicated to All Saints was standing in the churchyard in 1493. The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7 6s. 8d., is now consolidated with that of East Rudham.

Here is a chapel belonging to the New Connexion Methodists, built in 1864.

WALL LETTER-BOX cleared at 4.45 p.m., and on Sundays at 10.10 a.m., via Swaffham. Money Order Office at East Rudham. East Rudham Railway Station is about two miles from this parish.

         Armes     William     beerhouse & butcher
         Barrett   William     farmer & bricklayer
         Dann      John        shopkeeper and carrier
         Dawson    Moses       farmer
         Freuer    Wm.         agent for the Marquis of Cholmondeley,
                                 and valuer
         Howard    Henry       gardener
         Howitt    Mrs Mary    grocer and draper
         Jackson   Frederick   wheelwright
         Morton    John        farmer, The Hall
         Parker    Robert      tailor
         Payne     Samuel      blacksmith
         Powell    Richard     blacksmith
         Royston   Wm. Drage   frmr. Grove hs
         Savory    Edmund      farmer, Grange
         Toll      John        victualler, Duke's Head

CARRIER - J. Dann, to Lynn, Tues. Thurs. and Sat.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the West Rudham parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2002