Norfolk: Runcton Holme


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

HOLME-NEXT-RUNCTON is a small dispersed village, in the marshy grounds between the river Ouse and South Runcton, 4 miles N. of Downham. Its parish has 288 inhabitants, and 1,017A. of land, mostly the property of Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes, and the Execs. of the late Robt. Peel, Esq.; the latter of whom are lords of the manor, and patrons of the CHURCH, (St. James,) which is a small thatched fabric, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 19s. 2d., and consolidated with South Runcton and Wallington. The church has recently been new roofed and repewed. The united rectories were valued in 1831 at £595 per annum, and are enjoyed by the Rev. Jno. Fras. Edwards. The Church Land, 1A. 12P., is let for £3.

A close of 2½A., let for £6, was left for poor widows, by Eliz. Hewitt, in 1705. The poor have the interest of £10, left by Thomas Towers, in 1728; and an annuity of £4, left by Thos. Taylor, out of land at South Runcton.


         Edwards   Rev. John Fras., M.A. rector and rural dean
         Capp      John                  vict., Gate
         Cambridge Wm. & Fdk.
         Heading   John
         Howell    Joseph
         Hudson    Robert

Note: the format of the directory has been changed.

See also the Runcton Holme parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2003