Norfolk: Runcton Holme
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HOLME-NEXT-RUNCTON is a small scattered village, in the marshy grounds between the river Ouse and South Runcton, 4 miles N. of Downham, and 1½ miles S. of Watlington Station. It is in Downham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Downham polling district of West Norfolk, Fincham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 267 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1096 acres, and has a rateable value of £1832 15s. Thomas Somers Cocks, Esq., is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to Sir W.H. Ffolkes, Bart., Edmund E. Peel, Esq., executors of Fredk. Wicks, Esq., Caius College, Cambridge, and some smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. James) is a small fabric, comprising nave, chancel, vestry, south porch, and a square tower with three bells. Six of its windows are filled with stained glass, one of which was inserted in 1856 in memory of a former curate, another in memory of the late rector, the Rev. Canon Wray, who died in 1867. The church contains a piscina, and the registers date from 1562.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 19s. 2d., is consolidated with South Runcton and Wallington-with-Thorpland. The united rectories are now worth £675, and are in the patronage of E.E. Peel, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Greenwood Floyd, M.A., who has 14 acres of glebe, and 9 acres at South Runcton.
Here is a very neat Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1881, at a cost of over £200. It will seat about 80 people.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL, with teacher's house attached, was built in 1839, enlarged in 1862, and rebuilt on a much larger scale in 1879, at a cost of about £1300. It is a very handsome white brick building, with red brick dressings, and is supported by voluntary subscriptions, school pence, and Government grant. The school contains a good library of more than 500 volumes. It is attended by about 90 children.
The Church Land, 1A. 12P., is let for £2. A close of 2½ acres, let in allotments for £7 10s., was left for poor widows, by Eliz. Hewitt, in 1705. The poor have the interest of £10, left by Thomas Towers, in 1728; and an annuity of £4, left by Thomas Taylor, out of land at South Runcton.
Here is a Wall Letter-Box, cleared at 6 p.m. weekdays, and 10 a.m. Sundays, viâ Downham, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Atkin James hide and skin dealer Baker John bricklayer Baldrey James farmer Baldrey Samuel shopkeeper Bligh Thomas market gardener Bradfield Jesse farmer, Holme house Capp John beerhouse & carpenter Dennis Miss Caroline schoolmistress Floyd Rev. Charles Greenwood, M.A. rector Gutteridge Thomas shopkeeper Heading Mrs Anna Maria farmer Howell John farmer and landowner, Manor farm Stibbon John market gardener Stibbon Osborn farmer Towler John bootmaker Vine Robert farmer
Stow is the nearest RAILWAY STATION
See also the Runcton Holme parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.