William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
RUNHALL parish, near the chief source of the river Yare, 12 miles W. of Norwich, and 4½ miles N.E. of Hingham, is in Forehoe union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Hingham polling district of South Norfolk, Forehoe division of Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 192 inhabitants in 1881, living on 834 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1246. The Earl of Kimberley is the chief owner of the soil, and lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a plain structure of Early English architecture, and comprises nave, south porch, and round tower with one bell. The chancel is in ruins, and the chancel arch is walled up. Two of the windows of the nave are Perpendicular, and in the north-east corner is a niche for a saint. The nave of the church was new-roofed in 1871, and the old pews replaced by neat benches, and the interior of the church has been altogether much improved.
The Earl of Kimberley is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 18s., and augmented from 1742 to 1824, with £1200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, though now valued at £60 a year. It has been consolidated with the rectory of Coston since 1855 (see page 207 [which is the entry for Coston]).
A good substantial SCHOOLROOM has been built by the Earl of Kimberley, capable of holding 50 children - a voluntary school, supported by the Earl of Kimberley and the ratepayers of Coston and Runhall.
The poor have 10s. a year, left by Mrs. Lindsey out of Mr. Rose's estate. (See Addenda.)
POST PILLAR-BOX cleared at 5.45 p.m., delivery at 8 a.m. Letters via Wymondham, which is the nearest Telegraph Office. Nearest Money Order Office at Barnham-Broom.
Banham William farmer Batson William farmer Brasnett Frederick miller and baker Breeze William farmer Cobb Richard farmer Duffield William shopkeeper Foyster Miss Alice schoolmistress Green Lewis pork butcher Hardy Charles blacksmith Orton Thomas farmer and victualler, Black Horse Woodcock William farmer Wright Robert farmer; h Norwich
Three acres of land, let for £7 8s. to Mr. B. Leeds, termed the Recreation Ground, which, after satisfying claims upon it, yields £3 16s., distributed in coals to the poor.
In Directory, insert
'Slipper Rev. R.B., vicar.'
See also the Runhall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.