Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1892
RUNHAM is a parish on the banks of the navigable Bure, 3 miles south-west from Ormesby station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, about 6 miles north-west by the old road, but only 4½ by the new road and the ferry, from Yarmouth, in the Eastern division of the county, incorporated hundreds, petty sessional division and incorporation of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
There is a ferry here called "Runham Swim" across the river Bure.
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower with four pinnacles, erected by a bequest made in 1501, and containing 3 bells: in 1855 it was restored, from designs by Mr. W.A. Morant, of Yarmouth: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538.
The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £211, net yearly value £234, including 27 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1868 by the Rev. Francis Conway Steward, M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1868.
There is 1 acre of land for poor widows and a poor's allotment of 27 acres, let at about £41 yearly, which sum is distributed in coals.
Thomas Alfred Rising esq. of South quay, Yarmouth, is lord of the manor and William Fabb, J. Parvies, Robert Fellowes esq. J.P., D.L. of Shotesham park, Frederick William Waters esq. and Mrs. Read are the principal landowners.
The soil is good mixed; subsoil, light clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, hay &c. The area of the parish is 1,636 acres; rateable value, £3,152; the population in 1891 was 295.
Sexton, George Palmer.
POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - John Brown, postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth 7.40 a.m. & are despatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Ormesby.
A School Board of 5 members was formed compulsarily 19 November, 1889, for the principal part of the parish & Thrigby; H. Chamberlain, 13 Queen street, Yarmouth, clerk to the board; William Fabb, of Runham, attendance officer.
Board School for this parish & Thrigby, built, with teachers' residence, in 1854, at a cost of £512; it will hold 70 children; average attendance, 49; Mrs. Sarah Carpenter, mistress.
Fabb William Read Mrs Steward Rev. Fras. Vicarage Conway M.A. COMMERCIAL. Barber James farmer Brown John shopkeeper, Post office Browne Zachariah farmer Crow Robert farmer Fabb John Charles farmer, Rookery frm Hewitt Alfred farmer Howes Benjamin market gardener Knights Edward cowkeeper Newson John carpenter Nichols Job farmer Palmer Clement blacksmith Palmer William Three Horse Shoes P.H Smith Daniel farmer, Manor & White Gate farms; & at Filby Smith George farmer Smith William butcher Thaxter Robert farmer & ferryman, Runham Swim ferry; & at Southtown Thurtle Walter cattle dealer
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Runham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.