William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845RUNHAM village stands on the north bank of the Bure, five miles W.N.W. of Yarmouth; but its parish, which contains 290 inhabitants, and about 1600 acres, includes Vauxhall Gardens, near Yarmouth Suspension bridge, and an extra-parochial house.
The Evermores formerly held this lordship by petty sergeantry; and one of them obtained a charter for a fair and market, in 1226, but both have long been obsolete. Wm. Boult, Esq., is now the principal owner and lord of the manor. R. Fellowes and S.B. Cory, Esqrs., have estates here.
The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4, and in 1831, at £225, having 35A. 2R. 31P. of glebe, partly purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, obtained in 1780.
The Rev. George Miller is incumbent, and the Bishop of Ely patron, and appropriator of the corn-tithes, now held on lease by J.E. Lacon, Esq. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for the yearly payment of £223. 16s. 3d., to the lessee of the rectory; £145. 5s. 10d. to the vicar of Runham, and £32. 4s. 6d. to the vicar of Gorleston.
The Poor's Allotment, 27A. 3R. 19P., was awarded at the enclosure of the marsh in 1802, and is now let for £45 a-year, which is distributed in coals. The old poor's land, 1A. 35P., is let for £3. 15s., which is distributed among poor widows.
Boult Wm. Esq. Runham Hall Cory Sl. Barnett solr. (& Yarmouth) Dean Wm. shoemaker Franklin John vict. Vauxhall Gardens, near Yarmouth Gowen Robert millwright Gowen Isaac ferryman Morgan Rev George Fredk. M.A. curate Shrimpling Nicholas joiner Sparrow John vict. Three Horse Shoes Thompson John blacksmith FARMERS. * are owners. Cobb John Myhill Wm. *Fabb Richard Myhill Wm. jun Green Robert *Palmer Clement Howes Benjamin Read John Knights Edward Shopkeepers. Edwards James Knights Edward
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Runham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.