"RUSTON, (EAST) or Riston, a large scattered village, 6 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, has in its parish 759 souls, and 2494A. of land, mostly arable. In 1810, about 300A. were allotted to the poor, who cut fuel, and pastured their cattle upon it. The rest belongs to a number of free and copy-holders. The Rev. F.W. Cubitt is lord of the manors of East Ruston and Burnells, and the Trustees of D.B. Scott, Esq., are lords of Kerdiston Netherhall. Here is also a rectorial manor, leased with the tithes. The Church (St. Mary,) was re-pewed, and the north aisle rebuilt, in 1778. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £11.11s.10d., and annexed to the rectory of Ridlington, in the alternate patronage of Lady Wodehouse, and the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The latter are appropriators of the tithes, which are subject to the payment of only £13.6s.8d. to the vicar, . . . They are held on lease, with the Rectory manor by T.N. Keith and J.J. Blake, Esqrs. East Ruston is distinguished as the birth-place of that truly eminent Greek scholar, RICHARD PORSON, M.A.," [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
East Ruston is also known as Riston.
See also Sco Ruston.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Cotton, Simon
- St Mary's Church, East Ruston.
[London, Churches Conservation Trust, 1996]
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), East Ruston was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, East Ruston was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Ruston to another place.
East Ruston is in Happing Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Happing Hundred
- Description of Happing Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which East Ruston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- East Ruston History
- Mediaeval history.
This is a link to an archived copy.
- Great Britain: Statute
- East Ruston Inclosure Act, 1806.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of East Ruston in the county of Norfolk.
[George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1806]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG345282 (Lat/Lon: 52.800219, 1.477316), East Ruston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)