Norfolk: Great Ryburgh


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

RYBURGH MAGNA, a large village on the western bank of the Wensum, 4 miles S.E. of Fakenham, has a station on the Wells branch of the Great Eastern Railway. It is in Walsingham union and county court district, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Toftrees rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 693 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1170 acres, and has a rateable value of £4327.

The parish belongs to Frederick Augustus Morse Boycott, Esq., of Sennoweville, Bushey Heath, Herts, who owns the soil and is lord of the manor and proprietor of Sennowe Lodge and Ryburgh manor-house, the latter of which is situated in the village, and the former about two miles south.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a perfect cruciform structure of the 15th century, except the western tower, which is of the late Engle [sic] period. It comprises nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and round tower with octagonal belfry. It contains a good organ, and was thoroughly restored in 1860, and furnished with handsome open benches, pulpit, and reading desk of carved oak, at a cost of £1100. The handsome brass eagle lectern was erected in 1876 by Mrs. W. Tatham as a memorial of her late husband, W. Tatham, Esq. The east window has been filled with beautiful stained glass, and the open timber roofs enriched with colouring and gilding.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14 6s. 10d., and now at £620, with the vicarage of Ryburgh Parva annexed, is in the patronage of C.M. Tatham, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. George Edmund Tatham, M.A., who has here a spacious residence, erected in 1824, and 270 acres of glebe, allotted at the enclosure in 1808 in lieu of tithes.

The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1882 on a site given by Mr. Bell.

Here is a National School, attended by 100 children.

The Fuel Allotment, 29A. 13P., is let for £13 4s., and the Church Land, 8A. 2R. 3P., is let for £15 6s. a year.

POST and TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Mr. T. Richardson's. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m. and 3.40 p.m., and are despatched at 3.40 p.m. and 6.15 p.m. viâ Fakenham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

         Barker     Arthur           clerk
         Barrett    Robert George    tailor
         Bell       Mrs Elizabeth
         Bell       John             farmer
         Bell       Philip           blacksmith
         Brown      Henry            bootmaker
         Colman     James            beerhouse
         Colman     Philip           vict. Crown
         Cooper     Thomas           manager
         Curson     James            bricklayer
         Drewell    George W.        G.E. stationmaster
         Everitt    Isaac, Esq. J.P. Manor house
         Eyre       George           grocer and draper
         Forsdick   John             gamekeeper
         Gray       Miss Ellen       schoolmistress
         Green      Robert           farmer
         Hill       William Tooley   farmer
         Howe       George           parish clerk
         Howe       Richard          butcher & beerhouse
         Hutchinson George           bootmaker
         Male       Alfred           joiner and carpenter
         Mesney     Michael          coal and general merchant
         Oughton    William          shopkeeper and coal merchant
         Rawling    Wilson           horse dealer
         Richardson Mrs Bessie       grocer, draper and postmaster
         Rush       Frederick        victualler, The Blue Boar
         Salisbury  William          manager
         Smith      Charles          butcher and farmer
         Smith      Mrs Annie        maltster, miller, merchant and
                                       farmer; and Ryburgh Parva,
                                       Stibbard, Gateley, Guist,
                                       Dereham and Wells
         Smith      Mrs George       farmer
         Southgate  Robert           farmer
         Tatham     Rev. Geo.
                      Edmund, M.A.   rector, The Rectory
         Watson     John             pork butcher
         Woods      William          grocer, drug dealer and bootmaker

RAILWAY, G.E. station, J. Butters, stationmaster

Everitt, Adams & Co. (limited)
engineers, millwrights, and agricultural implement mfrs. St. Andrew's Works; Samuel Slater, secretary
Everitts Steam Plough Co.
contractors for steam tilling and reclamation of waste land
Note: in the original, these appear in the alphabetical list of people.
See also the Great Ryburgh parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2010